The ISGS Drilling, Shop Services, and Vehicle Operations Section provides prompt and reliable supportive services to the staff of the Illinois State Geological Survey:
The ISGS conducts research in many different areas including geologic mapping and energy and earth resources. The drilling team provides assistance wherever they are needed. Sample recovery averages 8,000 to 10,000 feet per year.
In addition, ISGS drillers:
- install 20 to 30 groundwater monitoring wells per year
- install piezometers where required
- perform geophysical logging and GPS on all holes drilled
- Two mud rotary rigs capable of continuous core sampling of up to 500' of rock or glacial drift with 2.5" HQ size core
- Setting 2" monitoring wells to a depth of 500'
- Portable loggers on each rig with Gamma and SP capabilities
- Two probe trucks with 1.5" direct push sampling to a depth of 100', and with capability to gamma log with a slim line gamma tool.