Oil and Gas Related Wells in Illinois
The ISGS is an official repository for records of wells drilled in the state of Illinois. Paper records are archived for over 700,000 wells. Some of these records go back as far as the late 1800s.
Digital Oil & Gas Well Records
Well Records via Database Query
NOTE: To use this application with Java 7 or above you must adjust some Java settings.
Please use Internet Explorer as your web browser.
NEW: Steps to set Java Runtime Parameters and to Add URL’s to the Exception Site list:
- Go to the Java Control Panel (On Windows Click Start, Java and Configure Java)
- Click on the Java tab
- Click on the View button
- § For each version of Java installed, double click in the Runtime Parameters box and enter -Djava.vendor="New Oracle"
- § Choose OK
- Next Click on the Security tab
- Click on the Edit Site List button
- Click the Add in the Exception Site List window
- Click in the empty field under Location to enter this URL: https://isgs-oas.isgs.illinois.edu
- Click OK to save the URL’s that you entered.
- Click Continue on the Security Warning dialog
- Click Apply then OK to exit
Oil and Gas Permits
Interactive query form for Oil and Gas Permits!
Just choose a month from the pull-down menu then enter a year and hit, Submit Query. The data will appear in the same format as before.
Database Query for Oil and Gas Permits
Well Databases Pricing Policy
GRU Well Copying Services
Digital Well Data
You may need to disable all POPUP BLOCKER software to access well records.
It is recommended to use the latest web browser and java updates when using this application.
Data Policies and Procedures
How Well Locations Are Described
To purchase other data, call the ISGS Geologic Records Unit at 217-333-5109. For general inquiries or electronic data sales, e-mail the ISGS Database Administrator.