B.S. Physics, Bu Ali Sina (Avecina) University, Hamadan, Iran, 1989
M.S. Geophysics, Geophysics Institute of Tehran University, Tehran, 1994
Abbas has been conducting and applying extensive Monitoring Verification and Accounting (MVA) techniques to assess impacts on groundwater, vadose zone and annulus zone for both Phase II and Phase III projects for the DOE-funded Midwest Geological Sequestration Consortium (http://www.sequestration.org). In that capacity, he is performing field experiments to support the MVA program, including geophysics, hydrology, geochemistry, analytical chemistry disciplines, and statistical evaluation of groundwater.
Abbas has been with the ISGS since 2003.
- Geological Carbon Sequestration - development of the carbon capture and storage (CCS) industry and environmental monitoring
- Monitoring Verification and Accounting (MVA) techniques for CO2 sequestration projects involving Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR), Enhanced Coal Bed Methane (ECBM), and deep saline reservoirs
- Groundwater monitoring – design of monitoring networks, well design and installation, groundwater quality monitoring , and groundwater data analysis
- Statistical evaluation of groundwater chemistry data
- Geophysics and well-logging - shallow geophysical techniques to assess environmental impacts, well-logging techniques to interpret subsurface environments
- Resistivity methods for groundwater investigation
- Well-logging and geophysical methods - coal exploration and coal quality