Randall A. Locke, II
1994 - University of Iowa, M.S. in Geology
1993 - Iowa State University, Field Methods in Hydrogeology
1991 - Illinois State University, B.S. in Geology with honors
Randy Locke is the Head of the Geochemistry Section at the Illinois State Geological Survey. The Section is a group of 13 full-time scientists and staff engaged in a range of research and analytical services relevant to Illinois' economic, energy, and environmental issues.
He is also the Coordinator of the Monitoring, Verification, and Accounting Program for the Midwest Geological Sequestration Consortium, one of seven regional partnerships selected by the U.S. Department of Energy to determine the best approaches for capturing and storing carbon dioxide that might otherwise contribute to global climate change.
Since 1998, he has co-led a program funded by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources to compile and interpret hydrogeological and geochemical information from Illinois nature preserves and other sites with high-quality natural communities so they can be protected and effectively managed by the State of Illinois.
Hydrological and geochemical investigations including aqueous geochemistry; geochemical sampling methods; geological carbon storage; in-situ monitoring; design, construction, and use of environmental monitoring networks; regional and local assessments of groundwater resources; and land use impacts.
Other Experience: Research program review, development, management, and leadership including facilitation of multi-disciplinary research projects; coordination of extensive field-based efforts; state and federal regulatory permit development and compliance; management of large, long-term data sets; and data visualization.
Professional Activities and Committee Responsibilities:
- International Technical Expert for the American National Standards Institute appointed to the International Standards Organization Technical Committee 265 (Carbon dioxide capture, transportation, and geological storage) Working Group 3 (Storage), 2014 to present; Co-lead of Monitoring Technical Panel, 2015 to present
- Principal Investigator for a state-wide scientific program to collect and interpret hydrogeological and geochemical data at Illinois nature preserves funded ($130,000/yr) by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, 1998 to present
- Coordinator of the Midwest Geological Sequestration Consortium’s Monitoring, Verification, and Accounting Program, which includes extensive air, soil, and groundwater monitoring and modeling efforts totaling $8.5M for four research projects, 2010 to present
- US Department of Energy - Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership; member of the Monitoring, Verification, and Accounting Working Group (2009 to 2012) and Water Working Group (2009 to present).
- International Energy Agency Greenhouse Gas Research and Development Program – Monitoring Network member, 2012 to present
- Illinois Groundwater Association member since 1995, served the Association for over 10 years in multiple capacities and was its Executive Committee Chair in 2004.
- National Ground Water Association member since 2003
- Illinois Licensed Professional Geologist #196-000933
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) pursuant to 29 CFR 1910.120 (1997 to 2007)